Philadelphia Hip-Hop Artist REALYSM Will host an album release party at the illustrious Vango’s Rooftop…
If there’s one thing Philly is known for, it’s having a wide selection of murals…
Need a dose of R&B? Check out Kelly Rowland and The Dream, as they bring…
Made in America Preview: Predicting the Trending Topics on Twitter
Full discloser, I am not psychic. I don’t even know what I’m going to have for lunch tomorrow. But with that being said, I like to think I’ve become a fairly adept predictor of trending topics on Twitter, especially when it comes to certain big events. For instance, with the Olympics, I totally predicted that Michael Phelps would be trending on Twitter and like, no one saw that coming.
Philly is currently all a buzz about this weekend’s Made in America festival and for good reason, it’s most likely going to be pretty flippin’ awesome. But what will people be tweeting about? If you hadn’t noticed, that’s how you find out what’s going on now- Twitter. Did you know that the Republican National Convention is happening right now? Probably not. But if you were paying attention to Twitter, you totally would. You’d even know that a A) a hurricane is threatening it B) a hurricane cancelled Donald Trump’s appearance and C) a hurricane created Tuesday night’s double bill of Ann Romney and Chris Christie, the oddest double bill this side of Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees.
So what will be trending about Made in America this weekend on Twitter? Here are ten educated guesses.
1. Beyonce showed up! And while we weren’t really surprised because of leaked reports that she would be making a surprise guest appearance during her husband Jay Z’s set, it still didn’t damper the awesomeness of her showing up.
2. People totally snuck in. Let’s face it, people sneak into everything. If you want to do something bad enough, you’ll find a way to do it. Just look at the Red Sox. They wanted to perform what was basically an exorcism of their season and somehow they were able to do just that (thank you Dodgers .) So what if there will be two sets of fence put in place to stop people from sneaking in, it’s going to happen. It’s totally going to happen. Probably sometime in the middle of Skrillex’s set because that’s when security guards will most likely be the most confused about what exactly is happening because homeboy’s music is so confusing and weird.
3. Pearl Jam still rocks. Because they do, they will and if they want to, they’ll do it again. That and Michael Vick only playing thirteen games this year are the most solid bets you can place right now.
4. Santigold’s back up dancers are crazy. Have you ever seen Santigold’s back up dancers ? They’re like wild robot cheetahs. Santigold choreographs them herself and occasionally joins in. If pressed to describe them as succinctly as possible- spastically wonderful.
5. Dude, it’s hot. It will be. So drink water. Did you hear me? Don’t just drink Budweiser. Drink water.
6. Ben Franklin. The event is on the Ben Franklin Parkway and yes, I love our country, but you know that roughly 37% of the audience will have no idea who Franklin was. 10% will think he was a president. 5% will think he invented syphilis…which may or may not be true.
7. D’Angelo! In case you don’t follow Questlove on Twitter, D’Angelo is back and we should all be really excited about it.
8. Mayor Nutter Raps. No, I don’t think this will happen, but in all fairness, I didn’t think Mayor Nutter would ride a soap box down the course at the Red Bull Soap Box race in Manayunk a couple years ago either. He’s nothing if not a dude who goes all in. Will he rap? Doubtful. If he does, will it be a De La Soul song? Probably.
9. Jay Z. It’s his festival, he’s headlining Sunday night and he’s a frontrunner for coolest man on the planet. His wife will pop in, he’ll deliver a banging set and he’ll probably plug the Brooklyn Nets- a potential rival of the Sixers (if not just geographically and not based on talent.) There is really only one question lingering about Jay Z’s set: will Freeway be there and if so, will it be as awkward as it was during the initial Made in America announcement a couple years ago?
10. Is Rick Ross really that large? Take a look at the latest Rolling Stone, featuring a shirtless Ross on the cover . That man is a mountain of a man and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he had literally eaten a rapper who was in his way at one point. The man has an enormous belly and during his set Saturday night with the rest of his Maybach Music Group (Philly’s Meek Mill and DC’s Wale,) is there any doubt that he’ll look bigger than the Art Museum, regardless of where you might be in the crowd?
Tickets are still available and you can check out a revised Septa schedule here . Jay Z headlines Saturday night and Pearl Jam on Sunday. Other artists are Run DMC, Miike Snow, DJ Shadow, Gary Clark Jr and many more. Check out Made in America’s website for more information.